5 Star Reviews

Book Review (5 Stars) – Letters to Eloise, by Emily Williams @EmilyRMWilliams

Blurb:

‘Receiving a hand written letter is something that always puts a smile on my face, no matter who the sender is.’ Flora Tierney.

When post-graduate student Flora falls unexpectedly pregnant during her final year studies she hits a huge predicament; continue a recent affair with her handsome but mysterious lecturer who dazzles her with love letters taken from the ancient tale of ‘Abelard and Heloise’, or chase after the past with her estranged first love?
But will either man be there to support her during the turmoil ahead?

‘Banish me, therefore, for ever from your heart’, Abelard to Heloise.

Letters to Eloise is the heart wrenching debut epistolary novel by Emily Williams; a love story of misunderstandings, loss, and betrayal but ultimately the incredible bond between mother and child.

Letters to Eloise

My Review:

Letters to Eloise is a wonderful story about love, pregnancy and the challenges life throws at you.

This book is about Flora, a young woman who becomes unexpectedly pregnant, and decides to write letters to her unborn child throughout her pregnancy. Most of the book is written in the form of letters to Eloise, which I loved reading.

I was entertained by the regular snippets about the stages of pregnancy and the baby’s development. It reminded me of when my best friend was pregnant for the first time, and we started calling her bump ‘Avocado Baby’. She later became Bluebell, and finally ended up with the name Perdie (Perdita). I was also highly amused by Flora’s sudden aversion to the smell of dog poo, well, until today when I was walking my dog, and had to carry quite possibly the stinkiest poo he has ever done around with me for the rest of our walk. I couldn’t help but think of Flora while I tried to hold my breath.

Due to this being written in the form of letters, and Flora being so open with her unborn daughter, it felt like reading someone’s diary, so something later on in the story did come as a shock to me, as I believed I knew everything. In fact, I surprised myself by crying proper hysterical, face in hands, shoulder shaking tears. I was completely overwhelmed with emotion and even had a shiver go down my spine at one point.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and by the time I reached half way, I found it almost impossible to put down, having to force myself to put it down at 92% as I could no longer keep my eyes open, but reading the remaining 8% was the first thing I did the following morning. Well, technically the same morning, as I was reading this well beyond midnight.

This is a truly touching, emotional and at times funny tale about a young woman, her somewhat complicated relationships with men, pregnancy and the unconditional love for her unborn child.

I highly recommend this to those who enjoy emotional romances, and I think it would be a great read for new mums. Who knows, it may even inspire a few to write letters to their own children to hopefully read one day.

5 Stars

5-stars-buttons

Where to find this book:

Goodreads

Amazon UK

Amazon US

Where to find the author:

Twitter

 

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Book Review (5 Stars) – Letters to Eloise, by Emily Williams @EmilyRMWilliams

Comments are closed.